Savoury Cheese Muffins
These cheesy bread rolls can be baked flat or in these muffin forms for more convenient eating. You can even use the mixture in a metal bread form to bake a bread which slices nicely for sandwiches if you prefer.
Surprisingly filling when served with cheese and ham or your favourite sandwich topping, they are a delightful lunchtime or snack alternative.
Eat them whole, or... Just slice in half and eat as open sandwiches.
1)Warm the oven to 180C.
2) Whisk the eggs first, for a fluffier batter.
3) Add all the remaining ingredients; whisk till smooth.
4) Leave for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds and psyllium husks to absorb water and swell.
5) Bake as preferred:
- As a loaf, a small breadform; 180C for 30 minutes.
- As flatter hamburger-style rolls on a silicon pad (makes ten) at 200C for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a muffin form (as illustrated) 20 minutes at 200C
Carbs and Calories
- 200g of mixed grated cheese (I use parmesan, cheddar and emmenthal or sometimes any leftovers of hard cheese in my fridge.
- 5 large eggs
- 125g cream cheese
- 100g almond flour
- 25g Psyllium husk
- 25g Chia seeds (ground are best)
- 30g extra virgin olive oil
- 80 g water
- 10g baking powder
Salt & pepper to taste (try adding 2 teaspoons of garlic powder for a more savoury taste).